In addition to the co-ed early childhood program for Toddlers through Kindergarten, Visitation Academy is proud to offer the area’s only all-girls education in Grades 1-5, an excellent all-girls Middle School for Grades 6-8, and a rigorous college-preparatory program for young women in Grades 9-12.
Alumnae who attended Visitation often cite the following benefits from their single-sex education:
- provided advantage when choosing a college and when deciding to take on leadership roles
- instilled self-confidence
- prepared young women for the “real world”
- provided young women with more encouragement in the areas of science, math, and technology than co-ed schools
- felt more prepared for transition to college than co-ed counterparts
- earned higher college entrance test scores
- were more likely to volunteer in community organizations after graduation than co-ed counterparts
The Sisters of the Visitation knew even 180+ years ago what research is finding today about single-sex education. These visionary women instinctively knew about educating girls in an academic setting with equal rigor offered to boys of their era. Viz’s educational and value system is as relevant for the 21st century as it was for the 19th.