As we prepare to begin school on August 20, we will continue to adjust our plans to meet the requirements of the ever-changing conditions. Please click here for the most recent remarks from the Head of School on our campus reopening. All of our planning has been done with the intention of keeping the students and community as safe as possible. Student and faculty safety is our priority. We are so looking forward to seeing the girls back at Viz. We will be hosting a town hall meeting on Thursday. See invitation below.
Access Password: !AI0HF=E
Upper School Back-to-School Parent Meeting
When: July 30, 2020, 6:30 p.m. (Zoom details emailed July 27)
Topic: Upper School Back-to-School Parent Meeting
Upper School Orientation—ON CAMPUS
- Monday, August 17 – Grade 9 Locker Decorating – Canceled
- Wednesday, August 19 – Grade 9 Orientation – 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Back-to-School Night—VIRTUAL EVENT
- Thursday, August 27 from 6:30 – 7:00 p.m.
- This event will be held virtually this year. Parents will receive a video link to the teachers’ recorded presentation prior to the Back-to-School Night meetings. On the scheduled night and time, parents will be invited to meet their daughter’s advisor on Zoom for a question and answer session. Zoom-specific links will be sent closer to the meeting date.
- The Parent Tech Orientation also will be held virtually that night. Details will be shared later.
Upper School Calendar Events—REVISIONS
- August 10 – Fall Sports Practices Begin – Details will come from the athletic department.
- August 12 and August 18 – Grade 9 and New Grade 10-12 Parents Sports Meetings – Virtual (An invitation will be sent closer to the date.)
- August 17: Welcome Back Picnic – Canceled
- October 15: Parent-Teacher Conferences – Virtual Event – Conferences available upon request either via phone or Zoom. More details will be shared later.
- December 4: St. Nick’s Nook & Café Noel – Canceled
Returning to the Classroom
- Classroom Set-Up: To maximize physical distancing as much as possible, teachers will be spreading out desks/tables in the classrooms. Additional furniture is being temporarily removed from classrooms when possible to allow for more space. Teachers also will make use of outdoor learning spaces.
- Masks and Handwashing/Hand Sanitizing: During US Orientation and on the first day of school, students will be instructed on proper handwashing and wearing of masks. All students and teachers will be required to wear a mask within the building when they are not able to be socially distant. Students must bring their own mask and are welcome to keep a personal hand sanitizer with them. In addition to hand washing in the restrooms, new hand sanitizers will be provided throughout the building.
- Backpacks: Middle and Upper School students will be allowed to carry a backpack along with their Viz laptop bag with them throughout the school day. This will enable students to carry their water bottle(s) and books for multiple classes so they can reduce their frequency to the lockers.
- Sanitizing Throughout the Day: Visitation is providing teachers with materials to sanitize desks, doorknobs, light switches, etc., throughout the day. Desks will be sanitized after each class period. There are Viz-wide policies for daily and weekly deep cleaning.
- Water Fountains: Water fountains are closed. Students should bring their own water bottle(s) from home and may bring them to class.
- Lunch: Lunch service will not be provided by Visitation. Students may either bring their own lunches and drinks, or they may purchase from the new refrigerated vending options through an app or swipe-card. More details about this new option will be shared later. Additional microwaves will be available in Viz Café for student use. No food deliveries from parents or outside services will be accepted. Students will be spread out in Viz Café and the Lower School Dining Room during lunch to allow for appropriate distancing.
- Before School: Students arriving before 7:30 a.m. will go to designated areas based on grade level and number of students. No lingering/sitting in hallways before school will be allowed. After 7:30 a.m., students will go directly to their first period class after gathering their items from their lockers.
- After School/Extended Day: Students who are not picked up by 3:30 p.m. will report to the Extended Day rooms which are supervised by a faculty/staff member. Students will stay socially distant, practice regular hand sanitizing and disinfecting procedures, and spend time outside when possible.
- Advisory/Birthday Treats: Students will need to bring their own snacks for advisory (no sharing or purchasing for the entire advisory). No birthday treats will be passed out in advisory or lunch.
- Masses/Prayer Services: All will be held virtually and live streamed from the Chapel or other location.
- Assemblies/Class Meetings: Depending on the assembly, some may be canceled or held virtually in their advisory.
- Field Trips/Overnight Trips: All first semester field trips and overnight trips have been canceled. We will make a decision regarding those occurring in second semester after assessing our situation this winter.
- Clubs/Activities: The Club Fair on Wednesday, September 2 will be a pre-recorded video highlighting each club and will be shown during advisory. Students will sign up for clubs through a Google form that will be shared with them after the virtual fair. US Handbells will still occur as a class that meets before school on designated days at 7:15 a.m.
Thank you all for your continued support of Visitation Academy and your patience in these unprecedented times. If plans change or local or state governments require distance learning, we will share those plans at that time. Please visit the Upper School Resource page on the Viz Portal as a reference to required forms that are due, summer math and reading packets, book lists, past communications, and other details. Please contact me with any questions or concerns.
Upper School Principal