Middle School students’ unique needs are addressed through a comprehensive guidance program provided in individual, small group, and large group settings. Topics addressed include academic guidance, study skills, social relationships, media awareness, internet safety, and health and wellness.
Programs and services include:
- Orientation to Middle School for both students and parents, as well as parent informational evenings
- Introduction to career exploration through assessment of learning style preferences and identification of talents
- Standardized achievement test coordination and follow-up
- Additional consultation with students, teachers and parents, as needed, to promote each student’s academic, personal and social growth and success
Grade level guidance programs include:
- Grade 6
- Girl Talk–A national nonprofit organization peer-to-peer mentoring program that builds self-esteem, develops leadership & recognizes the value of service. This program pairs our Upper School student mentors with our sixth grade students to address topics such as self-esteem, peer relationships, self-health, internet safety, and more.
- Study Skills–Tips to improve organization, study skills and test-taking skills
- Grade 7 & 8
- Owning Up–A self-empowerment curriculum that focuses on dignity for everyone. This program provides a safe environment to discuss issues faced by students such as conflict resolution, positive relationships, communication skills, self-confidence, body image, internet safety, influence of media and pop culture, and more.
Ashley Giljum, Middle School Counselor (Grades 6-8)
Please follow this link for more information about the Middle School Counseling Department.